Please review the document to the right and complete for scholarship!
NACE Houston Section
2018-2019 Section Scholarship Awards
PLEASE read the following for changes for the 2019-2020 Scholarship Program:
1) ONLY CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN OF SECTION MEMBERS WILL BE AWARDED.
2) RECIPIENTS MUST BE MAJORING IN A S.T.E.M. COURSE.
3) THERE WILL BE AN ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENT (3 EVENTS) FOR SCHOLARSHIPS - IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO SIGN THE BOOK AT EVENTS/MEETINGS/SOCIAL OUTINGS. THERE WILL NOT BE ANY EXCEPTION TO THIS RULE.
THE PERIOD OF ATTENDANCE SHALL BE APRIL 2018
TO APRIL 2019 PERIOD PRIOR TO THE
SUBMISSION DEADLINE -
WHICH WILL BE THE 2ND TUESDAY OF MAY 2019.
2019 Section Scholarship Awards
Announcement and Qualifications
The Houston Section of NACE International has provided scholarships for over 30 years. Scholarships have traditionally been funded by The Houston Education Week, Rectifier Schools and the NACE Houston Clay Shoot.
The available scholarships for the 2019-2020 Session are limited to the following stipulations:
· Children and Grandchildren of Houston NACE Members Scholarship that are in good standing.
· The nominated student must be enrolled in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) major.
The NACE Houston Section Scholarship Committee (Jeff Willmon, Jane Brown, and Open) is now accepting applications for the 2019 Scholarship Awards. ANY NACE OFFICER IN THE NACE HOUSTON SECTION IS SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED FROM SPONSORING OR APPLYING FOR ANY NACE SCHOLARSHIP FUNDING. NACE Houston Section members can sponsor up to two qualified students who are now entering or attending an ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) accredited college/university for their bachelor’s or associate’s degree. Students enrolled in postbaccalaureate programs are not eligible.
Consideration for award will be based on the funds available for award (voted on by the NACE Houston Section board) and the number of applications received. Declared majors in Engineering or Basic Science (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Biochemistry, or Mathematics) courses may be given preference.
Applications, which are attached below, will be accept until May 14, 2019 (second Tuesday).
· Announcement of the winning nominees will be CoB July 13, 2019 (Friday).
· Awards will be distributed after the July 13 announcement as disbursement information is received from the recipients.
· Recognitions for the recipients will be given at the section meeting held in August 2019.
Qualifications for the Children/Grandchildren of Houston NACE Members Scholarships are listed:
1. The student must be sponsored by a NACE Houston Section member in good standing. Good Standing is defined as:
a. Membership up-to-date with NACE International.
b. Nominating member must be active in the NACE Houston Section and have attended a minimum of 3 Section meetings/activities. The period of attendance shall be the April-to-April period prior to the submission deadline, the second Tuesday in May. A Scholarship Sign-up Book will be available at every NACE Houston Section Meeting/Activity to record and track the attendance requirement. It is the responsibility of the Nominating Member to assure that a log of their meeting attendance is recorded in this book.
c. Further, a letter of recommendation for the student must be provided by the Section Member to the Scholarship Committee for the Member Sponsored Student Scholarship.
2. The applicant must be a domestic US student member in good standing at an ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) accredited university studying for their associate’s and/or bachelor’s degrees in A STEM subject.
3. The student must be attending college on a full-time basis (minimum of 12 hours/semester) and maintain a 2.5 GPA during the semester. A graduating high school senior is eligible as well.
4. Students must send an official transcript or report card and a copy of course records with their application. For graduating high school seniors, a letter of acceptance for the fall semester from the university is required.
5. The application forms and transcripts must be received at the office listed below by the close of the day Tuesday May 14, 2019.
6. Award preference will be given to students studying engineering disciplines related to corrosion sciences. Further preferences will include NACE Student Section members, GPA, and extracurricular activities.
7. Scholarship awards are limited to 4 years of eligibility for undergraduate degrees. Scholarship awards will not be awarded to students enrolled in postbaccalaureate programs.
Additional information that would assist the scholarship committee evaluate the candidate include corrosion research, membership in organizations, and letters of recommendation.
Send complete application with official transcript to:
BP - Thunder Horse - Subsea Operations Team Lead 501 Westlake Park Blvd. Houston, TX 77079, TX 77079
PLEASE COPY JANE@BROWNCORROSION.COM ON ALL CORRESPONDENCE
Additional information concerning the Scholarship application process (overview, qualifications, application, and review) can be found on the NACE Houston Section’s website at www.nace-houston.org/index.htm.